Thursday, May 22, 2014

Shop Talk with Panoply

I wanted to do a regular series on my blog, something unique that hasn't been done before. I came up with an idea to feature small shops, that are located throughout the country. So, every Friday you can stop by and check out a new shop, and at the same time meet the owner. Some weeks, I will be sharing some wonderful vendors that set up at vintage style shows. I am hoping that this series will introduce you to some shops and shows, that you might not already know about, and better yet, they might be in driving distance for you, wouldn't that be nice? Since, this is a big holiday weekend, I decided to start Shop Talk a day early. This week it gives me great pleasure to introduce you to Rita from Panoply!  After you finish shopping, you can click here to visit Rita's blog.
 
Hi everybody, I'm Rita C, and I am the voice of Panoply, the blogPanoply started in 2008 as the business name for the team of myself, along with two of my six sisters, who love the hunt for, display and/or repurposing of, along with the ultimate sale of past finds.  By definition, the word panoply means "a wide-ranging and impressive array", an expression we strive to epitomize in our dealings, our offerings, and life in general.  Thank you, Linda, for inviting me to introduce myself to your readers today. I love widening my circle of friends everywhere, and sharing the fun my sisters and I share in our ventures.  

Panoply has been situated in the South Charleston Antique Mall (in West Virginia) since July, 2008. We're easy to find, situated in spaces on the first of three floors of what was once McClung & Morgan Department Store (about 75 dealers).  We're located on I-64 (West Virginia), exit 56.  
Panoply's Romantic, cottage styling
Most local folks know us as the three sisters.  We each have distinct tastes and styles, ranging from Victorian Romantic, Art Deco/Flapper to Primitive and Industrial collections.
Panoply Flapper & Art Deco accessories
We sell mostly antiques and vintage items, keeping reproduction or vintage-inspired items to a minimum, and always with full disclosure to our customers.  We really enjoy sharing back stories and/or provenance with items we sell.  We primarily shop auctions, estate sales, antique stores, and large, organized flea markets to source our finds.
Panoply industrial and some primitive display
One common thread we all have is our love of vintage linens!  We keep a great stock of casual linens as well as dressier ones, showcasing the lost art of homemakers' handwork of the past.  We purchase linens in large lots whenever possible.
Panoply's casual linen display
Panoply's dressier linen display
The art of display in our mall space is almost as exciting as the thrill of the hunt for the items we sell.  We have great fun in anticipating and carrying out seasonal displays.  Right now, we have summertime and military memorabilia showcased.
Panoply summertime vignette
Patriotic and militaria display
Coming up is Father's Day, so next week our focus will be on featuring what is referred to as "mantiques", or items to attract the guys who like to collect, or for the women buying for their guys.
Vintage and antique "mantique" items
Vintage and antique barber display
We've also created vignettes for other seasonal events, such as the Derby, 
Derby vignette
Back-to-school - "old school" style, 
Panoply's "old school" back-to-school
Fall harvest,
Panoply fall harvest
and Christmas.

Panoply Christmas
We try to keep things fresh and attractive, and affordably priced, as it has proven to be the fastest track to the moderate success we enjoy with our hobby business.  
Panoply reset from Christmas into New Year
Although having our own shop for regular sales events is a dream for the three of us, we each have busy lives separate from antiquing, so we are content with our circumstances of renting space.  We operate independently in buying, tagging, and selling our items, but we often shop together and work together to create synergy in displays and styling our spaces.
Panoply Victorian bedroom
I hope you've enjoyed getting to know me and what Panoply is all about.  The Panoply blogging journey has taken me from across many subjects, from sourcing vintage and antique finds for resale, as well as using my finds in my home and garden, all the while sharing personal and family events and milestones as we go. Come along on the journey, and we'll see where it takes us because, after all......Life is "A Wide-Ranging and Impressive Array" - a Panoply.  Visiting my blog, you'll see the various modes of social media I participate in, and we can connect on any of those you prefer.

If you're traveling through any of the three interstates that intersect in our town of Charleston, West Virginia (I-64, I-77 or I-79), we'd love for you to stop by.  There are billboards strategically pointing the way to our mall, or you can phone (304) 744-8975 for directions.  Again, we're on I-64, Exit 56, easy on/off access from any of those three interstates.

Just another day in the life of Panoply
Thanks again, Linda, for the invitation to be showcased today.  I love your blog and I'm a regular visitor.  I hope someday we actually have the chance to meet in person!

Linking up here...
Feathered Nest Friday
Show and Tell Friday
Flaunt It Friday
Inspiration Monday

14 comments:

Artsy VaVa said...

Another great Shop Talk tour. I'm going to Charleston in the Fall so I'll put this on my list of places to visit!

Judy Pimperl said...

Thanks for sharing an interesting group of ladies! I love each of their individual styles and contributions to their little business...looks like they have fun together.
judypimperl.blogspot.com

Rita C at Panoply said...

Linda, thanks so much for hospitality and invitation to talk shop with you and your readers. Have a safe and fun weekend!
Rita C at Panoply

Creations By Cindy said...

What a great place~ Love all the eye candy. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I have seen your booths many times in the South Charleston Antique Mall. My sister used to have a booth on the third floor and we both later opened a booth at Somewhere In Time, Nitro, WV.

I have since moved back to North Carolina but will be back in Teays Valley in July. I look forward to stopping by and seeing all your lovely things.

hugs
Sissie

Donna Wilkes said...

I love to visit here each week to find another great shopping space. I use Rita's tips all the time to refresh linens. The displays in the sisters' booth are quite appealing and attractive.

Marielle Collins said...

What a great post! So many beautiful things! Thanks for sharing :)

Scribbler said...

I am so glad you showcased Rita. She is one of the nicest (and funniest) bloggers out there. I would love to shop her shop -- I could really get into some trouble there.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Wow, I see so many treasures I'd love to have. Very nice shop with beautiful displays. Thanks so much for sharing.

Unknown said...

Hi Linda,
What a great idea to feature small shops like Panoply. I love their "stuff" and the way it is displayed. Only wish I was closer...I'd be there this afternoon!
Happy Memorial Day weekend,
Cheryl

Bonnie said...


This is so fun. Rita, I have enjoyed reading your blog but somehow missed that you had so many sisters. How wonderful!

I love your vintage items and your shop. Thanks for the in depth view of what you specialize in and collect.

Wish I lived closer so I could be a customer of yours.

corners of my life said...

How I wish we live closer. We are downsizing from a four bedroom Victorian house and I could fill your shop.

Rita C at Panoply said...

Thank you to all of Linda's readers and your feedback - it's very much appreciated. I'm feelin' the love, but I promise my feet are still grounded. I wish all of you lived closer, too. We love displaying it all, but selling it makes it a whole lot more fun. :)

must love junk said...

Rita is such a sweetie, and it's a treat to see so many of her booth photos! Lots of great eye candy! :)
Susan

Related Posts with Thumbnails